Welcome to the GAIAS blog!

This blog was created in December 2011 to help future students get an "inside look" into what it's like to study in this unique place.

On the Home Page you'll find all the blog posts in the order they were saved. Scroll around to see what previous students had to say about their experiences here! Some posts were written specifically for this blog while others are pulled from blogs that students had already been keeping. You can also see posts on specific topics by viewing the labels on the left hand columns.

Also check out the different tabs for more information on studying here!

Enjoy!!!

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

My first two weeks in the Galapagos Islands

A post from Danielle Golon

I have finally made it to the islands!

Time is both flying by and yet also going really slowly.

Sea lions:

When we first got the islands, we went through customs and took a bus to our school. The school looks out to Playa Mann, which is a beach filled with sea lions.  Tomorrow will mark the second week of living here and I am still completely amused by the sea lions. It can be summed up as this — deer:united states :: kanagaroos: australia:: sea lions: galapagos. The sea lions literally are everywhere and at night time they sleep in the street parallel to the boardwalk.

Studying:


These first few weeks I have been studying health on the islands, this has taken me to some very not picturesque places–such as the land fill, water filter plant, water treatment plant (which actually also just filters water, instead of treating it) and the electric plant. It is definitely apparent that there are health issues on the island but I will save that for a blog post I am working on for later this week. My thesis work is starting up and I am excited to actually be here and to be able to observe the surroundings and interview people. I am really hoping my spanish holds up for the interviews.

Whales, sharks, and turtles–oh my!:

Last weekend I went snorkeling near kicker rock (this really awesome land formation of volcanic rock) and near an islet that had many blue footed boobies, iguanas and sea lions on it. The water around the Galapagos is very choppy and the tide is very strong and I learned that I am not a great swimmer. haha. I also learned just how insanely salty the water is, as I was trying to swim but also dealing with the strong waves. Anyways, I saw some incredible wildlife including the infamous giant sea turtles there and hammer head sharks. However, the most exciting part was during the boat ride back. I was sitting (really holding on for dear life, remember I mentioned how choppy the water is haha) on the front end of the boat we took out to kicker rock, when all the sudden about 300 feet away a huge humpback whale breached out of the water. I mean this thing was by far the largest animal I have ever seen in my life. I don’t even want to guess measurements because I don’t even know where to begin. Then right after that a younger, much smaller–but still could have taken down our boat– whale breached and then the big whale jumped out of the water again. Our boat spent the next 20 minutes following this whale around. Remember I am sitting on the front of the boat, I was at times about 20 feet away from this massive, beautiful, creature.

Family life:

I am currently living with a couple both in their thirties. My mother works for the government and my father is a local radio DJ. I am so thankful for my family, they have really been above and beyond what I could hope for. For example: my dad asked me what my favorite beverage was (iced tea) and low and behold the next morning I had ecuador’s version of iced tea for break fast. Or my mom and I will have hour long conversations where she and I are both genuinely interested in what the other has to say. She has also helped me with my spanish and edited things I need to write in spanish for my thesis. I have found that I am very tired at the end of the day, every day. Last night I went out salsa dancing. A group of my friends were going on dancing and my dad had a free ticket for me because of his job. I got to the salsa place around 10 and left around 12:50 am and this morning my parents were asking where I was– they ended up going to the salsa night because my dad is friends with the musician. It is kind of funny that I was in bed before they even got there. It is amazing how much exploring a new place, and being surrounded by a new language, and using that language more than your first language can really tire a person out.

As I mentioned before, I am working on a post for later this week about social issues on the island. I am definitely interested in seeing your perspectives. My work on my thesis so far has been really interesting and really–unexpecting. I am excited to see where it goes and the trends once I have interviewed and surveyed the 240 people I am hoping to hear from. However, for now I am going to go.

Hasta que

danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment